THE ARCHIVES

Friday, September 26, 2008

Melvin Monster!

Submitted for your approval, here is Melvin Monster #10, which is a reprint of Melvin Monster #1 in it's entirety. I'll be posting a chapter a day, as it is a book-length epic. Acquired by 9-year-old me when it first appeared on the newstand, even then i knew it was a work of disturbed genius, but at the time i would have articulated simply- it was just "weird"...





Next chapter - Melvin meets some "Weird-Oh" types and Miss Gargoyle the Reluctant Schoolteacher.

I missed "Talk Like a Pirate" Day but here, with the first of a series of glow-in-the-dark paper masks copyright 1946, i invite you to Look Like a Pirate for as long as you wish...or at least 'til the next mask appears!

4 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

A fun series for sure, I've got some of these and have read them to my son a few times. He was asking me if the black stuff on Melvin's head was hair or a hat. It's funny how over all this years something like that never even occured to me. I guess I always just assumed it was a crazy monster hat, but it's obviously his hair. I think. It's almost one of those old samurai hats.

I'm posting something a little more on the "kid friendly" side tomorrow on THOIA so I'll be sure to plug you, my reader's would love this too I bet.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

he has his father's hair! maybe he'll turn purple as he grows up, or else Mummy's green under those bandages and he got it from her...

thanx so much for all your efforts to get people to wander this way- i goofed off and didn't install a tracker so i have no idea if people are dropping by without commenting or not. i should get around to that. but it's the comments that count.

comics-wise 99% of what i "plan" on posting is stuff i've had since i was a kid, so it's a mixed bag and posts will reflect whatever mood i'm in at the time. right now i'm obviously in a Halloween mood! those who like the blog as it is now might be dismayed or bemused at the changes but we'll see if anyone's even paying attention! i just hope i can show people stuff they're not already familiar with through other blogs.

well, i guess that stuff's not gonna scan itself so i better get going...

Prof. Grewbeard said...

...but i do wish i knew whether people are digging the tunes or not. one listen to Orvin Yoes' The Vampire will do you in! most of these records really are aural comix!

Mella said...

Neat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails