THE ARCHIVES

Monday, February 1, 2010

EVERYTHING'S Archie!


Although Sugar, Sugar was pure bubblegum bliss, The Archies' first three albums were also pop perfection with nary a clunker(if you dig this sort of thing)to be found, thanx to Jeff Barry's skills at songwriting and producing hit singles. Here's their first four lps(all my own vinyl- Jingle Jangle was the first long player I ever owned, a 9th birthday present from my older brother)and the story of how they "made it" from The Archies Song Album. I don't know how I "made it" through this month, but things are looking "up"...










By the way, the artist who drew "The Music Man" is my favorite Archies artist but I can't remember his name, anybody care to remind me(please)?...

7 comments:

Devlin Thompson said...

That'd be Mr. Harry Lucey (1913-1984) you're looking at there.

Mykal Banta said...

Proff.: Nice to hear from you again! I think the pencils for that Archie story was Harry Lucey (GCD).

What fantastic stuff. I had no idea the Archies put out such "serious" albums - meaning albums without cartoons on the sleeve. Is that Don Kirshner's name on the upper right of Sunshine? That would almost guarantee pop wonderment! Remember Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert? -- Mykal

Prof. Grewbeard said...

thanx guys! and yes, i watched DK's Rock Concert every week, though some weeks i wondered why...

KW said...

welcome back!

the captcha word is VERBORK

Christopher said...

everythings Archieee..come on lets go with the Archie show....

Louie said...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these albums. They are like the holy grail for Bubblegum aficionados and I've been looking for them. Keep up the good work.

Jaime J. Weinman said...

The story was also published in Archie # 189 (Lucey was the lead artist on Archie's solo title from the late '50s through his untimely retirement in the mid-'70s).

Related Posts with Thumbnails